A Cathedral of Spiritual nourishment and fellowship for ministry to the world.
Cathedral Mission Statement
To transform people’s lives into Christian maturity and fullness of life through obedience to the word of God.
"Launching into the deep"
|Church guide - All Saints' Cathedral - A Guide to the All Saints' Cathedral Nairobi - Others|
|Written by Stephen Muriithi|
|Friday, 23 November 2012 00:00|
Page 9 of 9
The Silver Cross on the Communion Table together with two Silver Vases were presented by the Royal Air force in memory of their comrades who died in the Second World War, the two Silver candlesticks were given by the Duchess of Portland in memory of the Duke of Portland, formerly Sir Ferdinand Cavendish Bentick who had been speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
The Processional Cross
This was presented in 1915 in memory of Mr. Stonebridge. Experts say that the cross is over 100 years old and it has been in regular use at services in the Cathedral since it was built
The Table Clock
The table clock was presented by Mr. Horner, Commissioner of Lands, on completion of the Chancel in 1952. It dates from about 1850 and has kept good time for many years. It has two alternative chimes
Pewter Offertory Plate
This second Pewter offertory plate was given by Mrs. Crabbe in memory of her husband the Rt. Rev. R. P. Crabbe, Bishop of Mombasa 1936 – 1953
The cathedral grounds
The two Cypress trees outside the North Tower were grown from seeds from Jerusalem in the Holy Land given by Mrs. Gladys Beecher, the wife of Archbishop Beecher. That on the left, facing the Cathedral, was grown from a seed taken from the Garden of Gethsemane and that on the right from a seed taken from the Garden of the Tomb
The bridge leading to the Cathedral from Kenyatta Avenue is a memorial to Charles Ryall who was killed by a lion at Kima station on 6th Jan 1900. Ryall with two companions was asleep in a railway carriage when a lion entered by the open door and his weight caused the door to shut. He seized Ryall in his mouth and leapt out through the window before his companions were to realize what was happening. The wagon can still be viewed at Nairobi’s Railway Museum.
THE NEW MULTI-PURPOSE HALL PROJECT
From the car park of the Cathedral you can see a large new building. This is the Multi-purpose hall project which has been built in three phases. Phase one contains meeting rooms.
Phase two has more meeting rooms on the ground floor and on the first floor much needed offices. On the second floor is a chapel dedicated to St. Philip now in regular use
Phase Three has among other facilities, a large hall which can be used for services, lectures, concerts etc. and is due to be completed in 2010
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CATHEDRAL
Dr. Johann Ludwig Krapf, a German Lutheran, sent by the church Missionary Society (CMS) arrived in Mombasa in the year 1844. Dr. Krapf established a mission station at Rabai some 15 miles inland.
The Rt. Rev. William G. Peel, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Mombasa arrived in Nairobi at the same time as the Uganda railway in 1900.
Hr conducted the first Anglican service in Nairobi attended by the railway officials of East Africa. Two years later (1902) the first European Chaplain, the Rev. P.A. Bennet arrived to serve the growing community in Nairobi and the surrounding areas.
The Foundation Stone of the first St. Stephen’s Church built of wood and corrugated iron was laid by Bishop Peel in December 1903 and the Church was consecrated in 1904; it stood near where parliament buildings now stand. This church was moved to Pumwani in 1922 and re-dedicated to St. John. Another St. Stephen’s was built of stone next to the first St. Stephen’s where the present Chamber of parliament is now. It was demolished to make way for the extensions to parliament in 1963. Because it was so strongly built dynamite had to be used to bring it down.
The need for a larger church was realized and under the Revd. W.M Fallon money was steadily collected. During this time the original church of St. Mark’s Parklands was built in 1907. This was behind the present Parklands police station
In July 1914 a public meeting of European Anglicans was held to raise money for a permanent church in the centre of Nairobi and the Foundation stone for the Church of All Saints was Laid on 3rd February 1917.
On 31st July 1918, the newly appointed Bishop Heywood dedicated the incomplete new Church. (The first part of the Nave)
The design of Mr. Temple Moore, an architect who ‘thought Gothic’ and was said to be one of the most outstanding architects in the style in the late Victorian era, was for a large church, and further portions of the building were completed in 1924,1934 and in 1952 to a new design for the Chancel
In November 1924, the Church of All Saints became the cathedral of the highlands, equal in status to the Cathedral in Mombasa.
However, even by 1934, the building has only progressed as far as the Chancel arch and it remained in that incomplete state until after the Second World War
In 1949 an appeal was launched to complete the building and the present building, All Saints’ Cathedral, was consecrated to the glory of God on 21st March 1952 by Bishop R. P. Crabbe.
Major events in the cathedral
1917 The Governor of Kenya Sir Henry Conway Belfield laid the Foundation Stone
1950 Civic Service to commemorate Nairobi becoming a City by HRH the Duke of Gloucester
1952 Visit by HRH Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Consecration of the completed All Saints’ Cathedral by the Rt. Revd. Reginald Crabbe the 3rd Bishop of Mombasa
1955 Visit of Dr. G. Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury
1957 Cathedral’s Ruby Jubilee celebrated
1960 Visit of Dr. G. Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury, to inaugurate the Province of East Africa (Kenya and Tanganyika)
1960 Dr. Leonard Beecher installed as the 1st Archbishop of East Africa – Kenya and Tanganyika
1963 Thanksgiving Service to celebrate Kenya’s Independence
1970 Consecration of the two African Archbishops for Kenya and Tanzania
August 3rd: The Rt. Rev. Festo Habbakuk Olang’ was enthroned as the first Archbishop of Kenya on the occasion of Kenya becoming separate Province of the Anglican Communion
1971 Visit of Dr. Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury and meeting of the Lambeth Anglican Consultative Council.
1975 Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. F. D. Coggan
1977 The Diamond Jubilee Year of the Cathedral, 60 years since the founding and 25 years after it was finally completed in 1952.
1980 June 29th: Consecration of the Rt. Revd. Manasses Kuria as the Second Archbishop of the Church of the Province of Kenya
1983 Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Robert Runcie
1994 The Anglican Church of Kenya celebrates its 150th Anniversary
1994 Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. George Carey
1996 Consecration of the 3rd Archbishop of Kenya the Rt. Revd. Dr. David Gitari
2002 Consecration of the 4th Archbishop of Kenya the Rt. Revd. Benjamin Nzimbi
2002 Consecration of the 5th Archbishop of Kenya the Most Rev. Dr Eliud Wabukala
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 April 2013 06:05|