A growing, caring Anglican Church boldly proclaiming Christ
To equip God’s people to reach out and transform society with the gospel of Christ.
The synod is the governing council of the church as a body, through its three houses, namely the House of Bishops, the Clergy and the Laity. This committee consists of five members in a diocese, who in accordance with the constitution deliberate on all matters pertaining to the church including spiritual discipline and gives full synodical authority to any act of synod.
This is a sub-committee appointed by the Provincial Synod to attend to urgent matters arising, which do not necessarily require the attention of the Provincial Synod. The boards of mission, finance, education/training and sciences channel matters through this sub-committee for deliberation before receiving the final mandate from the Provincial Synod. It consists of three members in a diocese.
First missionary from the Church Missionary (CMS), Dr. Johann Ludwig Krapf arrived in Mombasa
Dr. Johann Ludwig Krapf was later joined by Rev. Johann Rebman. The two CMS intended to link a CMS station that was established at Rabai in the coastal region at the same time. The missionaries had to study and learn African languages in order to communicate and spread Christianity. This resulted to Krapf’s translation of the book of Genesis chapter 1-3 in Kiswahili.
Krapf visited Ukambani in an evangelistic exploration while Rebman visited Taita.
Krapf translated St.Luke’s gospel into Nyika (Rabai)
Krapf translated St.Marks’s gospel into Kamba
Mringe a dying cripple became the first Anglican convert to be baptized. Later a colony was set up by CMS at free town for freed slaves. This became the venue for the baptism of the first Giriama converts.
The diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa was formed and it included Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika with James Hannington as the first Bishop.
Ex-slaves Ishmael Semler and William Jones became the first Africans to be ordained to the Anglican Ministry.
In October the same year, Bishop Hannington was brutally murdered on his way to Uganda.
Divinity training for evangelists started at CMS, Freetown.
The diocese of Mombasa was formed comprising the vast Kenya’s geographical coverage and Northern Tanganyika.
The first CMS missionary A.W McGregor arrived in Kabete, currently Central Kenya.
The Luo community of western Kenya first received the scriptures in “Dholuo”, their own language.
The first Kikuyu scriptures were published.
The Swahili New Testament was completed in Mombasa
The first Anglican baptisms in Western Kenya were conducted in Maseno and Kima.
The entire Swahili Bible was finally completed in Mombasa.
Mass movement into the churches in Nyanza and Central Kenya began.
Mothers Union organisation was then started in Kenya by European ladies.
St. John’s Church Nairobi located at Jackson Road (currently Parliament grounds) moved to Pumwani. In replacement of St John’s Church, the Highland Cathedral was started and St. Stephen Church Jogoo Road.
The Language Translation Centre moved to Peel Gardens which has developed into ACK Language and Orientation School & ACK Nairobi Guest House.
The famous Alliance High School, which is one of the country’s leading schools, was inaugurated in 1926 at Kikuyu by the Alliance of protestant missions, with only 26 students.
That same year the New Testament, was completed in Kikuyu and Luo.
In the following year, northern Tanganyika was removed from the diocese of Mombasa, which then covered Kenya only.
The CMS divinity school was transferred from Freetown to Limuru; the current St.Paul’s United Theological University. In replacement of St.John’s Church, the Highland Cathedral was started and St. Stephen Church Jogoo Road.
Bible churchmen’s Missionary Society began working among the west Suk (Pokot) and the Borana (Marsabit) communities.
The first scriptures in Borana were completed.
The first scriptures in Pokot were completed.
The first visit from the Ruanda Revival team took place. The meetings were held in Nairobi, Weithaga and Kabete among other places.
Kenya African Keswick convention was held at Kikuyu, with the Ruanda Revival team as the speakers.
Kenya Missionary Council voted to become the Christian Council of Kenya (CCK).
The Kahuhia convention which was to be the first African-organized East Africa revival convention. This movement later spread across Central Africa.
The building of the Chancel together with the Lady Chapel and Chapter House that constitute All Saints’ Cathedral Sanctuary was started.
The Union Swahili Bible was completed and published.
In the same year, All Saint’s Cathedral in Nairobi was completed and consecrated.
Church House, also in Nairobi was opened while the Luo Bible was published.
Anglicans, Presbyterians and Methodists jointly established St. Paul’s United Theological College in Limuru, (currently United Theological University).
The first African Bishops of the Anglican Church in Kenya, Festo Olang’ and Obadiah Kariuki were consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Uganda
Church Army an Evangelistic and social welfare arm of the Anglican Church worldwide began their work in Kenya. The first mothers’ union members were admitted at Kabete church.
For the purpose of handling finance and property of the Anglican Church, Church Trust was formed, which is today the Church Commissioners for Kenya (CCK).
Also formed in the same year was Christian churches’ educational association (CCEA).
The first Christian Industrial Training Center (CITC) vocational training center for development of skills for school graduates was began at Pumwani, Nairobi
The Anglican province of East Africa, comprising of Kenya and Tanganyika was formed with L.J. Beecher as the first archbishop.
In the same year, the United Parish of Lavington was created.
The creation of dioceses of Fort Hall, Maseno and Nakuru which were separated from the large Diocese of Mombasa.
Formation of Diocesan Missionary Association took place in the dioceses of Fort Hall and Nakuru.
Diocese of Nairobi was separated from the diocese of Mombasa.
The Kikuyu Bible was published in a single volume.
The first African Archbishop of the church The Most Rev. Festo Olang’ was elected.
The Anglican consultative council representing world Anglicanism, held it’s inaugural meeting in Limuru.
Creation of Dioceses of Maseno North and South took place the same year.
Imani house, the then headquarters of the Anglican church of Kenya and the diocese of Nairobi was opened
The conference of Anglican archbishops (Worldwide) was held at Trinity College, prior to the World council of churches 5th assembly in Nairobi.
Creation of the Dioceses of Mt. Kenya East and South from the Diocese of Mt. Kenya.
Partners in mission the Anglican Church held consultations in Nairobi.
The martyrdom of the archbishop of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaire, the most Rev. Janan Luwum occurred.
The church of the province of Kenya (CPK) took the lead in soliciting for international aid for refugees. The conference of the archbishops of Anglican provinces in Africa was held in Nairobi.
The conference of Anglican province in Africa (CAPA) was inaugurated in July the same year.
The most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria was elected the second Archbishop of the church, to succeed the most Rev. Festo Olang’
The 2nd partners in mission consultation of the CPK was held in Mombasa
The 3rd partners in mission consultation of the CPK was held in Kabare.
The Church of the Province of Kenya CPK celebrated the 150th Anniversary since the arrival of Dr. Johann Ludwig, who was the first CMS missionary in Mombasa. The Archbishop of Canterbury the most Rev. George Carey joined them in the celebrations.
The most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria retired.
The Most Rev. Dr. David Gitari was elected the third Archbishop.
1998, marked a significant year when the name of the church was changed from the Church of the Province of Kenya to the Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK).
The Most Rev. Benjamin Nzimbi was elected as fourth Archbishop replacing the Most Rev. Dr. Gitari.
Archbishop Dr. Eliud Wabukala was elected to succeed Archbishop Emeritus Benjamin Nzimbi.
DR. Johann Ludwig Krapf, a German Lutheran, sent by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) arrived in Mombasa in the year 1844. Dr. Krapf established a mission station at Rabai some 15 miles inland.The Rt. Rev. William G. Peel, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Mombasa arrived in Nairobi at the same time as the uganda railway in 1900.
He conducted the first Anglican service in Nairobi attended by the railway officials of East Africa. Two years later (1902) the first European Chaplain, the Rev. P.A. Bennet arrived to serve the growing European community in Nairobi and the surrounding areas.
The Foundation Stone of the first St. Stephen’s Church built of wood and corrugated iron was laid by Bishop Peel in December 1903 and the Church was consecrated in 1904; it stood near where Parliament buildings now stand. This church was moved to Pumwani in 1922 and re-dedicated to St. John. Another St. Stephen’s was built of stone next to the first St. Stephen’s where the present Chamber of Parliament is now. It was demolished to make way for the extensions to Parliament in 1963. Because it was so strongly built dynamite had to be used to bring it down.
The need for a larger church was realized and under the Revd. W.M Falloon money was steadily collected. During this time the original church of St. Mark’s Parklands was built in 1907. This was behind the present Parklands Police station.
In July 1914 a public meeting of European Anglicans was held to raise money for a permanent church in the centre of Nairobi and the Foundation Stone for the Church of All Saints was laid on 3rd February 1917.
On 31st July 1918, the newly appointed Bishop Heywood dedicated the incomplete new Church. (The first part of the Nave)
The design of Mr. Temple Moore, an architect who ‘thought Gothic’ and was said to be one of the most outstanding architects in that style in the late Victorian era, was for a large church, and further portions of the building were completed in 1924, 1934 and in 1952 to a new design for the Chancel.
In November 1924, the Church of All Saints became the Cathedral of the Highlands, equal in status to the Cathedral in Mombasa.
However, even by 1934, the building had only progressed as far as the Chancel arch and it remained in that incomplete state until after the Second World War.
In 1949 an appeal was launched to complete the building and the present building, All Saints Cathedral, was consecrated to the glory of God on 21st March 1952 by Bishop R. P. Crabbe.
Just before you enter the West Door at the back of the Cathedral, you can see on the left the first Foundation stone which was laid on 3rd February 1917. Under the foundation Stone is buried a document which includes these words: “God grant that this church of All saints’ may now and always be a house to promote the greater glory of God and that of His Son, Lord Jesus Christ , and that from it may the waters of life flow for ages for the salvation of the faithful of Nairobi and the whole Nation”
Now entering the Cathedral, you will see on the first pillars to your right and left two wooden cases, which contain two Bibles, made from the wood of the case of the old organ by Dr. Carmen. These Bibles were presented to the Cathedral by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain in 1948. These cases were given as a memorial to Major Hugh Grant MBE. He was a Senior District Commissioner killed on duty in Maasailand in August 1946. Above the case on the right you will see an iron replica of an old eighth-century cross set in stone with Latin inscription beneath it. This stone was taken from Canterbury Cathedral in England, and presented to All saints’ by friends of Canterbury Cathedral.
Again this is a reminder that we worship as part of a worldwide church.
The West Porch and the Nave of the Cathedral up to the first three pillars were the first part of the Cathedral to be built which accommodated 250 people. This part was dedicated on 31st July 1918. The first service was held on 31st July 1918 and at it Bishop R.S. Heywood, the third Bishop of Mombasa, was enthroned.
The Cathedral is installed with closed circuit television screens on which pictures and text are projected during services with large congregations as on Sunday mornings. Those seated behind the pillars or in the Transepts can see what is happening in the Chancel, at the communion Table or the preacher in the pulpit, or they can follow the wording of the Creed and hymns from the screens
The nave is filled with permanent pews. Many of these were donated by members of the congregation or others outside in memory of loved ones who died.
As you continue to walk up the Nave you come to the Transept crossing. You are now standing between the North and South Towers of the Cathedral. These twin towers above the Transept are only seen in one other Cathedral, that of Exeter, in England. The Transept marked the end of the Cathedral until the Chancel was built.
On the left is the Lectern, from which lessons are read. This was presented by the officers and men of the Kings African Rifles (now the Kenya Army) in memory of their comrades who died in the Second World War (1939 – 1945) and was dedicated in 1948.
On the right, is the pulpit, from which the word of God is preached. This was made large enough from an interpreter as well as the preacher when in the earlier days a bilingual service was held.
The North Tower housing the Bells was built between 1922 and 1924 to house a gift of eight bells. The tower stood by itself for several years and was three sides only and open at the top until the Transept was built and the tower raised to present height.
The bells which came from the famous bell foundry at Loughborough in England do not swing but they are struck by clappers controlled by a keyboard of wooden handles in the belfry, played as a carillon.
While you are standing here, you can look back and see the large Lancet windows at the west end. These windows were erected in memory of the officers and men of the 25th Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment, the Legion of Frontiersmen, who died in the First World War (1914 – 1918). If you look to your right you also have a good view of the main organ pipes.
In 1924 the ‘Church’ was raised to the status of a Cathedral in equality with Mombasa.
1930 saw the laying of the foundation stones for the extending of the Nave, building the Transept crossing and the South tower. The work was completed in 1934. The Cathedral did not progress further until the Chancel was built after the Second World War. The South Tower houses the Organ.
The Organ of All Saints’ Cathedral is one the largest in Africa and has 1900 pipes. The biggest is 18 feet long and the smallest is 4 inches in length. The Organ was imported from England and the first section installed in 1934. It was enlarged in 1955 at a cost of Sterling Pounds 8000 after the Chancel was completed and the Console, which was originally under the organ loft in the South tower, was moved to its present position behind stall of the Assistant to the Provost. The small section in the Chancel above the Provosts’ stall on the right was added in 1978 and is the ‘Choir Organ’.
Before 1934 there was a small one manual and pedal Organ in the South Aisle which is now in St. Christopher’s church, Nakuru.
The building of the Chancel together with the Lady Chapel and Chapter House was started after the Second World War in 1949 and completed in 1952.
Pause here to admire the fine stone of the high Chancel arch around and above you and indeed the many arches, which we beautifully executed by African craftsmen and the cross outside above the Chancel roof.
The Chancel is spanned by a fine hammer beam roof consisting of steel girders cased in cedar. This gives a clear span of 53 feet and makes the Chancel wider than the Nave a feature unique in Cathedral building
The furnishings in the Chancel were made by local craftsmen in Mvuli a hardwood from the Kenya coast.
The Provost’s double stall is at the right and the Assistant to the Provosts’ stall on the left. The choir stalls left and right seat up to 48 Choristers.
The Communion Table (or Altar) is carved with the fruits of the earth, wheat and grapes and was presented for use in the new Chancel as a memorial to Archdeacon William Arthur Pitt-Pitts who was Chaplain to Bishop Heywood in 1930. It originally stood at the East wall of the Chancel, but was brought forward in 1967 and raised on a stone platform so that the celebrant of communion could face the congregation. Because of the very large congregation at the Sunday services and other special services extra seating is available in the Chancel and in the Lady Chapel.
If you walk past the Communion Table, you will see on the left the Throne or Cathedra (a Greek word meaning chair) of the Bishop. Since All Saints’ is the seat of the Archbishop of Kenya, this is the Archbishop’s Throne.
At the east end of the Cathedral, to the left are the stalls of Canons of the Cathedral. Canons are senior clergy whom the church wishes to honour by giving them this special link with the Cathedral. The seats (or stalls as they are called) are given the names of saints and these can be seen written on them. The right-hand stalls are the seats officially reserved for the diocesan Bishops of the province. Some of the Coats of Arms of the older Kenyan Dioceses may be seen on them.
The Cross made of aluminum was installed in the early 1970 after a Festival of flowers was held in the Cathedral in 1969. A large cross of dried flowers and leaves was hung on the blue curtain at the East wall. It was so liked that it was replaced by the large permanent cross.
There are several stained glass windows in All Saints’ Cathedral many of them were designed by the late Mr. A.J. Davis who was well known in Britain for his designs of stained glass windows in Cathedral and Churches
Above the cross is the beautiful Rose window. The stone tracery of the window was executed by African craftsmen. At the center is the star of Bethlehem, surrounded by the crown of thorns and the cross of Jesus. From the cross streams out the light of the resurrection across the dark blue of the midnight sky; and the stars, like all the Saints, reflect the light of the Christ in the darkness around.
On the north side of the Chancel are windows of stained glass, depicting the Patron Saints of the United Kingdom: St. Patrick (Ireland), St. George (England), St. Andrew (Scotland) and St. David (Wales). These were designed by Mr. Frank Salisbury RA.
On the south side of the Chancel are two windows. One depicts Bishop James Hannington who was the first Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, and was consecrated in 1844. In 1885, he crossed Kenya with 200 porters to join the church that had been established in Uganda. He was martyred in Uganda near Jinja.
The other depicts Canon Apolo Kivebulaya, a Muganda whose parents were Muslim, but who was baptized in 1895 and ordained a priest in 1903. He became a much-loved missionary to the people of West Uganda and in the forests of Eastern Zaire. The pygmies also knew him He endured at first much cruel persecution and was to the end a man greatly beloved, a lasting witness to God’s grace and power. He died in 1933.
Next to them are two other windows depicting J.L. Krapf, a German missionary of the Church Missionary Society who landed at Mombasa in 1844, the first European Christian Missionary to land in Kenya. He was known as the first European to see the snow on Mount Kenya (which is why the mountain is seen behind him in the window) and he had much difficulty in convincing people in Britain that there was snow on the Equator. He moved to Rabai 15 miles inland from Mombasa and built the church which is still standing and in use. Also Johann Rebmann, another missionary who arrived in Kenya in 1846. He was the first European to see Mount Kilimanjaro and the snow on the summit so that the mountain is depicted in the window.
On the East wall of the Chancel, either side of the blue curtain and large cross, are four windows depicting the four writers of the gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The names of the donors of the windows appear below them.
On the right and on the left walls of the Chancel above the doors are special stones set into the wall. The one on the right (South) is from the ruins of the Abbey of Lindisfarne, founded by St. Aidan in 635 A.D. Lindisfarne is an island off the north coast of England, which was chosen by Irish monks as a monastery and from which a large part of England was evangelized after the Anglo-Saxon invasion. This is a stone, therefore, which was shaped almost fifteen hundred years ago.
On the left (North) is a stone from St, Paul’s Cathedral in London, sometimes called the Cathedral of the Commonwealth after it was bombed but mercifully only slightly damaged during the 2nd World War in 1940.
The Lady Chapel is small Chapel usually built in Cathedrals and some large churches, and is used for weekday and more private services. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary whose picture is portrayed in the stained glass window on the north wall of the chapel. This is especially the chapel for women, and Mother’s Union Banner is placed here.
Walking now back through the Lady Chapel you will be again in the North Transept, under the North Tower. From here a small door opens onto a spiral wooden stairway to the bell loft.
Turn now and enter the side Aisle of the Nave as you walk to the West end or the back of the Cathedral, you will see the first two stained glass windows. The first depicts the figure of justice who carries in her hand scales in which envy, hatred and malice are being weighed against faith, hope and charity. The second is of Fortitude – courage.
The second two windows are the first of St. Michael – the guardian of Christian armies in their battle with the ‘heathen’ and second of St. Alban who lived in the third century and was the first known British martyr.
At the west end of the North Aisle (that is at the back of the Cathedral) is the original ‘children corner’ with two windows depicting the adoration of the Christ child by the Wise men. Look higher see the small star of Bethlehem. The children’s corner is not used as such in the Cathedral today. Children are welcome throughout the Cathedral and at times of special services sit around the communion Table in the Chancel.
Near this corner is the large marble Baptismal Font made in England and donated to the Cathedral in 1919 by Mrs. Spencer – Cooper and dedicated on 9th March 1919.
Cross to the south Aisle and walk towards the Chancel and see four more stained windows. The first two are of Fides – faith, and Caritas – Charity.
The second two are St. Francis of Assisi who founded the Franciscan Order which advocated a life of simplicity and poverty. He is often known for his great love for animals and St. Joseph of Arimathea: that secret disciple of Jesus in whose tomb Jesus’ body was laid.
Now go up the steps towards the door into the choir vestry, passing on the way the memorial to those in Kenya who died in two world wars, and also a memorial to Lord Baden Powell, founder of the Boy Scout movement.
Following the sign to the offices, which will lead you to the Chapter house.
Visit the Chapter House, a fine octagonal room, which is used for the councils of the Province, Diocese, Chapter and Parish.
Over the Chapter House door you can see the ceremonial sword laid up in the Cathedral by Sir Philip Mitchell, on his retirement as Governor of Kenya in 1952. The case was made by Dr. A. Carmen. To the right of the sword another small glass case contains an old wooden mallet used by Bishop William G. Peel to put up his tent on his early safaris in east Africa (1895 – 1916).
To the left of the sword is a large pewter offertory plate. This was made in 1671 by Jonathan Ingles, London, given in 1953 in memory of Mr. Graham Dawson, keen collector of pewter, by his window; it weighs 4 pounds and 13 ounces.
The photographs around the room are of early bishops of Eastern Equatorial Africa, later to become Mombasa, East Africa, and then Kenya.
There is also the vellum scroll of the Arms of the Diocese of Mombasa as granted by the college of Heralds in London obtained by Dr. Carmen who also made and donated its wooden case. He was a medical Doctor, also Sidesman in the Cathedral and later become Provost’s warden.
The crests on the wall form an interesting resume of history of the Anglican Church of East Africa and can be identified by referring to the hand drawn ‘Family Tree’, which is on the right hand as you enter the Chapter House, next to the official scrolls in their glass case.
Over the door hang the Arms of the See of Canterbury, since the Archbishop of Canterbury remains the titular head of the Anglican Communion throughout the world. To the left, facing the door, are the Arms of the Diocese of Mauritius, whose early Bishops exercised Episcopal oversight over the young missionary church in East Africa before its own Bishop had been appointed. To the right are the arms of the first bishop of eastern Equatorial Africa appointed in 1884.
In the Ambulatory, (the passage between the offices outside the Chapter House) are photographs of the more recent Archbishops of the Province of Kenya and of all the Provosts of the Cathedral to the present day.
The two large Tapestries hanging on the wall of the Ambulatory were originally in St. George’s Church Moiben in the western Kenya not far from Eldoret and worked by the ladies of the Parish. They were given to the Cathedral in the late 1960’s.
Below the Chapter House and Ambulatory is the Crypt. This does not contain a Chapel as in some Cathedrals. The rooms in the Crypt have been used for offices before the Multi Purpose hall was built, and some are still in use also meeting place for small groups.
The Silver Cross on the Communion Table together with two Silver Vases were presented by the Royal Air force in memory of their comrades who died in the Second World War, the two Silver candlesticks were given by the Duchess of Portland in memory of the Duke of Portland, formerly Sir Ferdinand Cavendish Bentick who had been speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
The Processional Cross
This was presented in 1915 in memory of Mr. Stonebridge. Experts say that the cross is over 100 years old and it has been in regular use at services in the Cathedral since it was built
The Table Clock
The table clock was presented by Mr. Horner, Commissioner of Lands, on completion of the Chancel in 1952. It dates from about 1850 and has kept good time for many years. It has two alternative chimes
Pewter Offertory Plate
This second Pewter offertory plate was given by Mrs. Crabbe in memory of her husband the Rt. Rev. R. P. Crabbe, Bishop of Mombasa 1936 – 1953
The cathedral grounds
The two Cypress trees outside the North Tower were grown from seeds from Jerusalem in the Holy Land given by Mrs. Gladys Beecher, the wife of Archbishop Beecher. That on the left, facing the Cathedral, was grown from a seed taken from the Garden of Gethsemane and that on the right from a seed taken from the Garden of the Tomb
The bridge leading to the Cathedral from Kenyatta Avenue is a memorial to Charles Ryall who was killed by a lion at Kima station on 6th Jan 1900. Ryall with two companions was asleep in a railway carriage when a lion entered by the open door and his weight caused the door to shut. He seized Ryall in his mouth and leapt out through the window before his companions were to realize what was happening. The wagon can still be viewed at Nairobi’s Railway Museum.
The Governor of Kenya Sir Henry Conway Belfield laid the Foundation Stone
Civic Service to commemorate Nairobi becoming a City by HRH the Duke of Gloucester
Visit of Dr. G. Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury
Cathedral’s Ruby Jubilee celebrated
Thanksgiving Service to celebrate Kenya’s Independence
Consecration of the two African Archbishops for Kenya and Tanzania
August 3rd: The Rt. Rev Festo Habbakuk Olang’ was enthroned as the first Archbishop of Kenya on the occasion of Kenya becoming a separate Province of the Anglican Communion.
Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. F. D. Coggan
The Diamond Jubilee Year of the Cathedral, 60 years since the founding and 25 years after it was finally completed 1952.
Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Robert Runcie
The Anglican Church of Kenya celebrates its 150th Anniversary
Visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. George Carey
Consecration of the 4th Archbishop of Kenya the Rt. Revd. Benjamin Nzimbi.
The Rev Canon Sammy Wainaina was ordained in 1996 and has risen through the ranks to his current position as the Provost of All Saints Cathedral Nairobi.
He is a graduate of St. Paul university Limuru with a Bachelors Degree and a Masters degree from the University of Reading, UK.
The Reverend Evans Omollo was made a deacon in 2004 and ordained a priest in 2005 in the Anglican Diocese of Bondo. He holds a Higher Diploma in Theology from Carlile College (2004) and BA and MA in Cross Cultural Mission from All Nations Christian College, UK (2009).
Evans first served at St Michael and All Angels’ Cathedral, Bondo from 2004 to 2006 and later served as a lecturer and dean of students at Bishop Okullu College of Theology and Development in Bondo. He was appointed Provincial Mission Director for the Anglican Church of Kenya in March 2011, a position he held until August 2016 when took up his current role at All Saints’ Cathedral as the Assistant Provost.
Evans is married to Dr. Sellina Ayoma Omollo (a nutritionist by training) and they are blessed with 3 children – Eleanor Mor (b. July 2012), Ezra Hono (b. April 2015) and Ebony Hera (b. September 2016).
REV KEV– as he is famously known among the young people holds a Bachelor’s Degree- B.A. BIBLE and THEOLOGY from East Africa School of Theology, here in Nairobi. He is currently pursuing a M.A. degree in Organizational leadership at AFRICA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY.
Kevin was made a deacon in December of 2007 and later ordained Priest in 2008 at A.C.K. Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd in Nakuru; Where he served as a TEENS and YOUTH Pastor for five years, then later posted to St. Paul’s Parish as Vicar- In- Charge where he served between 2013- 2016. He joined All Saints Cathedral in August 2016, As the Teens Minister.
He is married to Faith Jemutai- a trained high school teacher-, and between them they have a daughter, Keila Wanjiru aged One and a half years.
Kevin has a passion for Youth and Teens ministries, discipleship, leadership and mentorship. He loves hiking, traveling and mountain climbing, he hopes to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro in the near future. His favorite Bible verse is ACTS 17:28 “IN HIM WE LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE OUR BEING”.
Rev. Mithali Ongachi joined All saints’ Cathedral church, Nairobi on 1st October, 2016, as a full time clergy. She is the children and baptism minister. Children ministry is a sector in the Education and Discipleship Pillar of the church.
Served as an attached clergy at St. Luke’s- Kenyatta since January 2015 to September 2016. In2014 (February to July), she was an intern in the church, placed under the Evangelism and Social outreach Pillar.
Was made a deacon in 2013 then ordained into Holy orders in 2014 in the Diocese of All Saints Cathedral, Nairobi. She enjoys serving the lord.
Before, she served greatly, in the youth department in Maseno North Diocese at parish, archdeaconry and diocesan level holding different leadership positions. Then she became a member of St. Francis- Karen in 2009-2011; Christ church- Westlands (2012). Besides the church ministry, she has also taught at St. Philip’s Theological college; Gospel Garden Bible College- Limuru; and Carlile College.
She has training in Christian Education, Bible and Theology; Basic IT and Control and Management of HIV/AIDS. She is interested in mentorship, discipleship/teaching, and leadership and counselling. The Rev. is looking forward to advancing her education God willing in one of these disciplines: Curriculum development, Administration or counselling
Ongachi is legally married to Cosmas Chrisantus W. And they have two children- both boys. Nathaniel Triune Chrisantus (Born in October 2012) and Jonathan Hephzibar (Born in October, 2014). She is the fourth born in a family of five.
Listening to music, reading, talking to someone, travelling are some of her hobbies
“God is the reason why l’ve made it this far in Life”- anonymous author
Bless the Lord ooh my soul
Rev. Kamau was made a deacon on 27th January, 2013 and was attached to the parish of Christ church formally, children’s church in West lands. He coordinated Theological Education by Extension programme and the prayer ministry. On the eve of the Maundy Thursday, April 17th 2014, he was ordained to the priesthood. He remained at Christ church briefly before he was enrolled for the internship programme at the All Saints cathedral. The programme is designed to offer the newly ordained clergy an opportunity to serve as they learn. He was appointed a fulltime clergy in December 2015 and posted to the cathedral. He is the discipleship and confirmation minister at the cathedral.
She is a graduate of St Paul’s University with Bachelors Degree of Divinity and Masters Degree in Development Studies.
Josephine was ordained as a deacon in 2005. She has served in 6 Parishes as a Curate and as a Vicar. She is a teacher of God’s word and motivational speaker with a mind and heart to develop people and church institutions to function in their gifting and abilities. She believes that her purpose in life is to equip, empower and encourage individuals, particularly young people for better living.
Commissioned as a Church Army Captain and then graduated at Carlile College with a Higher Diploma in Theology (HDip.Th) 6th October 2007. Ordained into the Holy Order of Deacons in October 2008 and later Priested in May 2009. Served at A.C.K.St. Francis Church in Karen Nairobi as a Curate which he joined in September 2008, then later Joined All Saints Cathedral Nairobi September 2012. Alfred is currently pursuing his Bachelors in Divinity (BD) at The St.Paul’s University Limuru.
Rev. Lilian Karinga was made deacon in the diocese of All Saints Cathedral in September 2007 and ordained priest in October 2008. She is also a Church Army captain and was commissioned on 6th October 2007. This means that she has a heart for evangelism and/or missions. She graduated with a higher diploma in theology from Carlile College, Church Army and Honours BTh in Missiology from University of South Africa. She is currently pursuing a Masters of Arts in Church History at the African International University.
She has served at the All Saints Cathedral Church for almost six years now.